Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Birthday Rhymes & Fingerplays

Toddler, Pre-K, K
I was so thrilled when I found this great list of birthday-themed finger plays and songs!

The Birthday Child
By Rose Fyleman

Everything's been different,
All the day long.
Lovely things have happened,
Nothing has gone wrong.
Nobody has scolded me,
Everyone has smiled.
Isn't it delicious
To be a birthday child?

Happy Birthday

I've got a lot of presents
that I'd like to give to you.
I'll give you all my Brussels sprouts
and all my liver too.

I'll give you all my gym socks
when they really start to stink.
I'll give you all my pens when
they are running out of ink.

I'll give you all my broken toys
and empty jars of paste.
I'll give you all my bubble gum
that's chewed and lost its taste.

I'll give you all the dust balls that
I found beneath my bed.
I'll give you all my batteries
as soon as they are dead.

So have a happy birthday,
you're a special friend indeed,
and please accept this trashcan
full of stuff that I don't need.

Copyright © 1999, Kenn Nesbitt
http://www.Poetry4kids.com/happybirthday.html

The Wish
By Ann Friday

Each birthday wish
I've ever made
Really does come true.
Each year I wish
I'll grow some more
And every year
I DO!

Today
by John Archambault

Glory may
I like today.
Today, today
I like today.
No other day's
quite like today,
Not tomorrow
or yesterday.
I like today
In every way.
Today, today,
Today,
My birthday!

The Birthday Cake

Today is my birthday.
I think I'll make a cake.
Mix and stir, stir and mix,
Then into the oven to bake.

Here's the cake so nice and round,
I'll put icing on so white.
I'll put on all the candles
To make my birthday bright!

Happy birthday to me!

Happy Birthday!

Today's the day
We get to say
We're happy you were born.
Hooray!

The Birthday Cow

Happy Mooday to you,
Happy Mooday to you.
Happy Mooday
Dear Yooday,
Happy Mooday to you!


A Great Birthday Poem/Rhyme for a turning six year old!


When I was one
I had just begun.
When I was two
I was nearly new.
When I was three
I was hardly me.
When I was four
I was not much more.
When I was five
I was just alive.
But now I am six
I'm as clever as clever,
I think I'll stay six
Forever and ever.

A Great Birthday Poem/Rhyme for a turning five year old!

I'm not exactly big,
And I'm not exactly little,
But being Five is best of all
Because it's in the middle.
A person likes to ride his bike
Around the block a lot,
And being Five is big enough
And being Four is not.
And then he likes to settle down
And suck his thumb a bit,
And being Five is small enough,
But when you're Six you quit.
I've thought about it in my mind -
Being Five, I mean -
And why I like it best of all
Is 'cause it's In Between.

No comments:

Post a Comment