Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Owl S'Mores

Mommy Craft

I made these last week for Gracie's fall snack (not-a-party) at school, but decided to wait and post them with the owl theme. I found the adorable idea online (hers are way prettier than mine), and just had to try them out.

Now, I usually put my mommy tips at the bottom of posts, but let me warn you: *these are not as easy as they look to make.*

Now, maybe I went in to it too cocky, or maybe I just stressed since I had to make them for her class, but looks are deceiving! Now, don't get me wrong you CAN do this--just give yourself time, and some extra materials to work with, you are going to have to do a little trial and error. Read below the post for more tips from a mommy who has made these.

To make this snack idea you will need:
  • Graham crackers
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Yellow Candy melts (look in cake decorating isle)
  • Candy Corn
  • Marshmallows
Cut your marshmallow in half. Put the halves on the cracker side by side and squish them together slightly.

Place a yellow candy melt on top of each marshmallow half.

Microwave for 5-7 seconds *watching it the whole time!* You want the marshmallows to puff up a bit. Turn the microwave off (or open door) when you see the marshmallow puff. When they go down IMMEDIATELY put your chocolate chips in the center of the yellow candy melt, and squeeze a candy corn piece between the eyes.

Sounds easy, right? ;) Seriously, you can do it and they are a huge hit...here are some more tips.

Mommy Tips:
  1. Have your chocolate chips and candy corn right beside your microwave, you need to be able to get to them quickly.
  2. Learn my lesson the easy way--you are going to have to do microwave them one or two at a time. I started with 6, then 3, and ended up doing 1 at a time after wasting lots of ingredients and time.
  3. I found more luck (and less marshmallow explosion by a) cutting my marshmallow in thirds, discarding the middle and using the two outside pieces for my eyes. b)pushing the marshmallow pieces together as much as I could without losing shape and c) putting the marshmallow "eyes" on the cracker about an inch down from the top, keeping it as far from edges as possible while still maintaining the "owl look."
  4. Your chocolate chips are probably not going to stick. At least not right away. It will take time for the heat to rise to the chips, so move them carefully to your flat space for them to cool. You may have to go back and use a hot knife (like I did) and gently melt the bottom of the chocolate chips and carefully place them back on the eyes.
  5. Make sure you use wax paper on your microwaveable dish, or you will be doing tons of dishes, and to use it on a flat surface to store the cookies until you are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment