Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Paper Plate Spider

Pre-K, K, 6 & Up

I did this craft with my toddler, but I do not recommend for younger ones. If you are in love with this craft, do it for them, or save it in a file for later.

For this craft you will need:
  • paper plate
  • black pain
  • permanent marker
  • black construction paper or black pipe cleaners
  • scissors
  • glue stick
  • stapler
  • hold punch
  • ribbon/string

When I found this idea it was to be used for a candy holder. We are far from Halloween, and I am not a fan of letting the kids have candy, so Thomas and I made a spider "binki holder." How cute was this paper creature holding his beloved binks!

First, paint your paper plate black. When dry, cut the painted plate in half. You want the two "right sides" facing each other so they make a pocket. You will staple these together--BUT FIRST you need to add the spider legs.

I used strips of black construction paper and folded them like accordions. The original craft used black pipe cleaners. If you use paper the kids can use the glue stick to add the legs on either side. I used 6, even though 8 is the actual amount. I made my legs a little too thick, so let's just say his spider is "special." If you use pipe cleaners I would suggest bending them a little for a movement effect and taping them in place.

Now, staple the two halves of your spider together.

Punch holes in the top corners of your spider and ties string, or ribbon (I used orange ribbon for contrast) and you can hang your spider wherever.

Don't forget to add a fun face. I used permanent marker (and marker on two oval cutouts from white paper for the eyes), but you could get creative and cut out all of the features or find googly eyes and add a hair bow.

**Take a look at the original idea that I based my craft on**

No comments:

Post a Comment