Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Shakers

Pre-K, K

Usually the crafts I do with the kids come from magazines or the internet, but every once in a while I find my own idea bubbles to the surface.

This is a craft for pre-K or Kindergarten to do mostly by themselves, but you can make these shakers for your toddler and they will LOVE them!

For this craft you will need:
  • 2 plastic "snack"cups. I used the cups from applesauce--if you get Walmart baby food in the round containers those would work well also.
  • Hot Glue (MOMMIES ONLY!)
  • Orange Paint
  • Popsicle Stick
  • Brown paint (optional)
  • Rice or beans (dry)
  • Green construction paper or pipe cleaner (optional)

First let your child pour a small amount of dry beans or rice in to one of the cups. Fill the cup about 2/3 of the way.

Take the empty container and make a slit in the bottom middle as long as your Popsicle stick.

Now and adult needs to hot glue the cups together making a dome shape. While the glue is hot, put your popscicle stick in the hole (about half of the stick in, half of it out) you just made and glue all around the stick making sure that no beans/rice escape your shaker. This will also help hold your stick upright.

Now the kids can have fun.

Paint your pumpkin. I used two coats, waiting until the first dried very well--but one coat looked cute too. I painted my Popsicle stick brown and added some green construction paper leaves. I couldn't find any green pipe cleaners in my craft box, so I made a cute little bow for the vine with a green piece of ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment